I have always been interested on where strings want to go. I am by no
means the best tuner, but I enjoy playing with the same group of
people (when I can) over the course of a couple of days and always
tuning to one arbitrary instrument that sounds reasonable enough to
tune too.  Depending on the weather we are high or low, but we are
always in tune.  Of course when a jam comes along where everyone
agrees to tune to a tuner, piano, or harp that is in a steady tuning
we will all laugh before we get there due to the lengths we have
strayed.  This is by no means any better than tuning to something that
is pitched at 440, but from experience I can guess that the world
doesn't always vibrate at 440.
mike