On Wednesday 2 August 2000 Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 02:08:01PM +0200, Christopher J. Trybowski wrote:
>>  You  may type <www.something.com> as well as (www.something.com), but
>>  between [] it doesn't work...

>     Generally because the accepted way of doing it doesn't include []'s.  In
> fact, I think only <>'s is technically correct.

I'm not aware of any technical standard which mandates the use of
angle brackets around URIs. The use of encapsulations such as
<http://www.something.com/> and <URL:http://www.something.com/> are as
far as I am aware just human<->human conventions. Though they may make
it easier for programs to automatically pick out URIs in text, most
seem not to have any problems with bare URIs and a variety of other
encapsulations.

(Technically "www.something.com" isn't even a URI, it's just a
hostname. What are you supposed to do with it? HTTP? FTP? TELNET? Only
web browsers automatically attach the http:// protocol specifier as
necessary.)

John
--
you gave me something that i could touch in a world where i'd had too much
something i could feel with my broken hands full of lost ideals but soon i'm