Stephane Bouvard wrote:
Hi Maxim,

Le dimanche 13 juin 2010 à 18:45:36, vous écriviez :

The registration system will be changed. We didn’t yet completely figured out
the final changes to the registration system, but the preliminary changes are
the following: registration will allow using The Bat! for a particular period
of time. It will not be bound to version numbers as before. During this time
period, the user will be able to update to newer versions of The Bat! and
receive technical support. Upon the expiration of the term, no updates to newer
versions will be possible unless the user prolongs the period by paying the fee.

Not a bad thing for me, *but* fix of existing bugs/vulnerabilities must
*always* be free, at least during a normal product life time...  for microsoft
products it's near of 10 years (Microsoft provided critical updates for Office
2k up to june 2009, and windows 2k to june 2010...  products availables since
1999)...

It will not be so easy to allow this with a registration period not bound with
the version number...  if you find in 2018 a critical vulnerabilities existing
since version 5.0, how will you allow customers with expired registration since
2012 to fix it without paying anything ?  (just an example)

Do not forget : security vulnerabilities are covered by the legal warranty of
any product as a latent defect, it's not limited by time...
There probably isn't much point in us discussing what Rit should do. They will decide and let us know. MS is the only software provider I know of that provides fixes for past versions of anything. The overhead gets overwhelming if you don't have very deep pockets. Legal warranties not withstanding. If a software company can even make the current version fixed and better than previous, it is enough for me. A lot of them don't seem to be able.

--
Gleason