On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:13:45 +0000, Marck Pearlstone <marck-
x1nb5wr35zavvamlhrw...@public.gmane.org> says...

> D> I have many troubles with setting IDLE mode to work properly with gmail.
> D> I have several folders under my main "Inbox" folder and set filters to
> D> sort all incoming and ongoing mail.
>
> I can only dream of this functionality (sigh).

But it works perfectly in other aps. Even free Thunderbird does it
without any hassle.

> Strangely enough, I see the opposite effect. I only get notification
> of new messages at the instant I change to a different folder than
> Inbox (or manually request new messages with F2 or the menu/toolbar
> options).

Mybe you don't have "Automatically connect to the server -> At startup"
selected? And maybe it's some problem with your mailbox. I'm using gmail
and it works as I've described.

--
br,
Zurek