Hello Roger,

>>> In version 5 the read filters are only triggered by the smart 'Space
>>> bar' action to move to another message. Marking as 'Read' by any other
>>> action has no effect. I have protested to Stefan Tanurkov about this
>>> change, but to no avail.
>
M>> Oh no! :-(
>
M>> After years of using the Space bar (on the Message List) instead of
M>> Ctrl+M to mark a message as read and properly triggering Read filters I
M>> now have to change my whole set up. I don't like this because, among
M>> other things, many times the messages I am reading are short enough so
M>> that, to read them, I don't even have to change focus to the message
M>> pane and use the smart Space bar to scroll them. Just read them and,
M>> when done, hit Space to mark it as read.
>
> Why  they  made  the change I don't know, I suspect it may just have been an
> accidental oversight which they cannot be bothered to now fix up!

I have been using the 'Smart space' these past few days, which I had
never used before, and I must say that it seems to work quite well. I
don't have to change the focus to the message pane as I thought I would
have to do, 'Smart space' does it if needed. The only small (very small)
drawback is that, if don't want to actually read a long message I still
have to scroll through it. But, as I say, that is a very minor
inconvenience.

M>> Anyway, I will have to do some more testing but I have returned the
M>> 'Mark message as read' to default Ctrl+M and tried using the 'Smart
M>> Space' and my Read filters still don't trigger. Also, if the message
M>> I'm reading is the last one in the Message List, smart Space doesn't
M>> move to any other message. Would the Read filters trigger in this
M>> case?
>
> The smart space has worked on the last unread message since early this
> month, in response to my Bugtraq sent in January!

I have seen it work on last message many (most) times. Read filters are
triggered and, as per my configuration, I am asked if I want to move to
the next folder with unread messages. But I have seen it not do anything
on last message a few times, but I don't have a patter yet.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v5.1.0.4 on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3
My photos at: http://www.Rancho-K.com
My photoblog: http://mau.aminus3.com