Gleason,

Friday, July 6, 2012, 9:46:52 AM, you wrote:

GP> Embedded images appear correctly in email I send to correspondents.

Well, I must be doing it wrong, then, because I've NEVER
been able to send an HTML formatted message containing an
embedded image to a Thunderbird user (including myself)
and have the message remain intact.  When I've reported
this in the past, RIT's response has always been, essentially,
"they are wrong and we won't change" and my feeling is that
RIT might be able to get away with that attitude when TheBat!
has more users than Thunderbird, but I'm not sure that will
be true, for a while at least.

Anyway, here's the way I attempt to embed images in HTML mail.
Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

 *  My default mail format shows "Plain Text (MicroEd)"
    in TheBat!'s status bar.

 *  I create a new message by using the drop-list on the
    "Create a new message" button.

 *  I click the status bar to change the message format
    to "HTML only"

 *  I enter some text, set fonts, styles, colors, etc.

 *  I click the "insert image" button on the message
    edit toolbar and TheBat! puts my image right where
    I wanted.

 *  I enter a bit more text to follow the image.

 *  I leave the default signature block that TB inserted
    when I created the message.

 *  I press the "Send message" button.

The result looks as I want in gmail, hotmail and yahoo mail.
It looks wrong in Thunderbird, RoadRunner's web mail app
(they're my ISP) and in SquirrelMail (which some of my
recipients use.)  Since I'm not sure about attaching images
to messages in the group, I've put screen caps of what I
see when a simple message with one embedded image was viewed
in Thunderbird (tb), RoadRunner (rr) and SquirrelMail (sm)
on my web server:

  http://www.svalli.com/files/batbug-ei-rr.png

  http://www.svalli.com/files/batbug-ei-rr.png

  http://www.svalli.com/files/batbug-ei-sm.png

(I apologize for the partial images, the whole thing just
didn't fit on the screen.)

I contend this is TheBat!'s problem, since all of these
mail viewers show images fine from any other source that
has ever sent mail to me.  Unless, of course, I'm making
a mistake in the process above -- but then it is STILL
a problem with TheBat! because if what I'm doing is wrong,
then why is it allowing me to convince it to create a
message with odd formatting?

--
Steven Vallière | tb 5.1.6.7 | mailto:the...@e-visions.com