Hello Gleason,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 09:40:34 -0500 GMT (30-Jan-19, 21:40 +0700 GMT),
Gleason wrote:

> All,

> I am responding in Postbox email client because templates aren't
> currently working in The Bat.  I set Postbox
> to respond in text only.  I'm not sure it will do that, so apologies if
> it doesn't.

It works fine.

>> Hello Gwen,
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:06:48 +0100 GMT (30-Jan-19, 20:06 +0700 GMT),
>> Gwen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello tbbeta,
>>> I asked the author of the plugin by mail some days ago (and some years
>>> before). He does not want to give the source to public and has ended the
>>> development. As i
>>> understood him: does not want to buy a 64bit development version of Delphi
>>> and change the
>>> code of the plugin for 64bit.
>> Honestly, I don't understand his attitude. He has no interest in this
>> plugin any more, so why doesn't he release the source code? Does he
>> gain something from blocking people from updating it, and others to
>> enjoy the funtionality?
> That's the thing about intellectual property, time and effort
> contributed for free, and the attitude of programmers,
> as compared to those of us who want something for free from them.  He
> might be thinking that a person who
> is capable of adapting his code would also be capable of writing the
> plugin from scratch.  Let them do that.

> Finally, we are "entitled" to nothing from him that he does not feel
> moved to give.

No, we are not entitled to free software. He was offering a software
for free, that was his decision. Now he is not interested in it any
more.

I am not saying we have a right to use it for free, I am just
wondering what goes on in his head: He is not interested in it any
more, others want to continue his good work, but he blocks it. Why
would he do that? That is the point I don't understand. There is no
commercial interest I can detect.

If it were commercial software to begin with, that would be a
different story. If Ritlabs abandoned TheBat!, I would not be
surprised if they kept the source code a secret.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and it's getting off-topic.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 8.7 (Christmas Edition)
under Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1