Hello Andrew,

>> When "soft" line wrapping is on, rewrapping function is not available
>> because it requires "hard" wrapping points.

> Hmm... Why can't it be mixed?

Because you can either have soft line wrapping or hard, but not together. We're
still thinking of future extending functionality when soft wrapping is used,
like supporting format=flowed for output, block re-formatting aka joining short
lines into long paragraphs, but this is not exactly what you're after, I guess.

However, there is still an option to switch soft wrapping off in the
preferences, but it won't work on-the-fly, i.e. one will need to reload the
editor.

> For example, your message above is occupying a single line, no `lf` at the
> end.

> I would expect that selecting it and pressing a hotkey (ALT+L was the
> default) will re-format to 78 characters as per RFC. This was previous
> behaviour at least.

There is no RFC  about it ;-) IIRC, the only RFC that limits characters per
line is 822 (obsoleted by 2822), but it's about transferring messages, not the
actual text line in a message. The limit of 78 characters comes from 80x25
characters standard text resolution of prehistoric displays, but I have no idea
what it has to do with modern display resolutions and software...

> Is there an alternative way to keep letters within 78 chars in v9.2.2.9?

Yes - just switch soft wrapping off and you will have the old MicroEd
functionality.

Stefan Tanurkov

'Using TBBETA' information: