On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:28:13 -0500, Richard M. Newman [RMN] wrote these
comments:
I just tried the redirect option and it still works as I expect it to.

The only difference is that I no longer see the X-Sender header.

RMN> I guess we disagree on this because we don't agree on what
RMN> re-direct is.

RMN> I think re-direct (as in v 1.53) should redirect the message so the
RMN> new receipient can hit reply and reply directly to the original
RMN> sender.

But this is what it does in the current betas.

The original sender is the one who originally sent the message, not the
one who redirected it, and this is denoted in the 'From:' header. If you
check you'll see that the 'From' address is the same in the original
message and the redirected message.

In a forwarded message, the From address is changed from that of the
original sender to that of the person doing the forwarding. A reply to
the forwarded message is automatically addressed to the person who
forwarded the message.

RMN> I get mail the is directed/intended for other people
RMN> @newmangroup.com but the address is not 100% correct.

Well this isn't the clients fault and how is TB! supposed to know this.
If you redirect the message, TB! will dutifully leave the incorrect
address as the 'From:' address.

RMN> If I "re-direct" the message to the intended person and the
RMN> intended person replies by hitting reply in whatever e-mail program
RMN> they are using, Bat 1.54 v48 or now v49, will make their reply come
RMN> to me or nowhere automatically if the account Reply-To is empty.

The reply will be addressed to the incorrect address and not to you.

What should the reply address be changed to anyway. How is TB! to know
what the correct reply-to address is. It certainly cannot be your
address.

Why generate a reply-to header when the From header is already there and
the From address is the intended address for replies to be sent?

RMN> Bat 1.53 will put the original sender in reply-to automatically so
RMN> the intended person's reply goes to the original sender. "Bounce"
RMN> in Pocomail works the same way. I don't know how similar functions
RMN> work in other e-mail programs.

This is how it works here.

RMN> By my interpretation of what re-direct should be (it should
RMN> invisibly re-direct the mail), Beta/48&49 breaks automatic
RMN> redirecting and only creates a work around to allow it to perform
RMN> however you would like.

Automatic redirecting!! Oho. I've been testing with manual redirecting.

Let's see. Again, it seems to work fine for me. The redirection works OK
in that the From header still contains the same information as in the
original message. Upon hitting reply, the new message is addressed to
the From address of the original message.

The only evidence that the message was redirected by me is in the header
line:

RMN> Guess the answer really lies in, what do the developers intend
RMN> re-direct to accomplish? As currently implemented, it is just
RMN> forwarding without template type information and "FWD:" added to
RMN> the subject.

I disagree.

Here's an example. I forwarded a delivery failure message from my mail
server back to myself and here are the headers.  I highlighted the
important ones: