Hello Scott!

On Sunday, December 1, 2002 at 10:00:41 PM you wrote:

->>|> Why is realize spelt with a "Z" and realised spelt with an "S"?

> Its' one of them British Things.  LOL.  Us Yanks across the pond spell them
> both with "Zees" as opposed to one "Zed" and one S!  LOL!

To be a bit more specific, the different spellings ("z" vs. "s") for
words with a differing numbers of syllables in British English is a
historical remnant. Various people and groups tried to propose a
spelling reform - one of them being George B. Shaw -, which, other
than in Germany, never took hold. The much more pragmatically oriented
brothers and sisters in the new lands (sorry chaps, I mean the
colonies here, today known as the U.S. of A.) on the other hand made
some of the changes there standard. Another example is the inversion
of certain letters, like in "centre" vs. "center".

--
Dierk Haasis

The Bat 1.62/Beta16 on Windows XP 5.1 2600Service Pack 1

Calling Things by their right name marks the beginning of Wisdom.

 Current beta is 1.62b16 | "Using TBBETA" information: