Hi All,
I guess this is more targetted at Stefan, to see if he knows if this is
even possible within the future of TB.
I'm sitting here, playing with my server side filtering for work, when I
realised the power, and efficiency of how procmail works... An example on
how the filtering is made more efficient, it allows you to specify a common
rule, then break up the filter into multiple parts. I'll give an example
as it might make things a little clearer... I work on the SquirrelMail web
project, so I handle a lot of mailing lists, but they have one thing in
common. The list headers, or at least they're very similar at least.
:0
* ^List-Id:.*squirrelmail\-.*\.lists\.sourceforge\.net
{
:0:
* ^List-Id:.*squirrelmail\-users\.lists\.sourceforge\.net
.SquirrelMail.Users/new
:0:
* ^List-Id:.*squirrelmail\-devel\.lists\.sourceforge\.net
.SquirrelMail.Devel/new
[.. some others removed for sanity ..]
}
My regex knownledge is pretty poor, so the first part could probably be
tidied up a bit... but here are the basics of it (for those that don't know
procmail). If there is a match in the header List-Id: containing
squirrelmail-(any character).lists.sourceforge.net run the second part.
This means that if I get say 500 emails from TB lists, it doesn't have to
cascade through 9 different filters... it only hits one filter now. I
don't know how efficient TB!s way of filtering is, but to me, that kind of
adjustment, or 'option' makes things a lot more efficient in the processing
department, as only the messages that meet the first criteria ever see the
second set of filters to be moved to folders, copied, forwarded, or
whatever with. Does that make sense? And is it feasible? A possible
future option maybe? I like having that option as a filter option as to
me, it (logically speaking) is more efficient, and probably quicker, hit
one rule, instead of 9 rules, just to see if you are a "valid candidate"
for the second "batch" of filters.
--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
________________________________________________________
Current beta is 1.63b6 | "Using TBBETA" information:
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html