Hi Allie Martin

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, at 16:27:02 [GMT -0500] (which was 2:27 PM where
I live) you wrote:

> Removing messages marked for deletion in an IMAP folder is expunging
> or in TB! *compressing*. Even for a POP account, deleting a message in
> TB! just marks it for deletion and removes it from the message list. A
> compression has to be done there as well to actually remove the
> messages from the message base.

> Purging is different and involves more than just compression. Purging
> can be made to remove messages older than a defined age or to remove
> old messages until the total message count is at a defined value.

> I see that there are no purge options for IMAP and wonder if
> compression and purging do the same for an IMAP folder in TB!. Upon
> reviewing the folder options anyway, I see that there's no purge only
> option and instead purge+compress.

I know we are talking about the same thing here and semantics are
getting in the way. Speaking to IMAP only, convention defines the act
of "deletion" as flagging a message for deletion on the server. The
message still physically exists on the server but it has a flag
attribute. "Purging" is the act of physically deleting the "flagged"
message from the server (one can define server-side rules for this
action. TB uses the term "compress" to refer to this physical deletion
on the server which is actually an incorrect term to use. The term
"Compress" typically refers to the recovery of disk space that is
fragmented. IMO, the command TB should be using is delete+purge rather
than purge+compress.

--
Best Regards,
Kevin

Using The Bat! v2.12 RC/3 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

 Current beta is v2.12 RC/1 | 'Using TBBETA' information: