On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:47:46 +0100, Zygmunt Wereszczynski wrote:

> Very interesting discussions on calendars can be found at
> http://www.phys.uu.nl/~vgent/calendar/isocalendar.htm

> ISO defined strict numbering of weeks, days of week, etc. I think it should
> be used (and probably is) in The Bat! to avoid misunderstanding of time and
> date in scheduler.

Zygmunt, if you trace the history of this discussion, you will see
that I have already acknowledged that ISO starts the week on Monday. I
also stated quite clearly that on this point I choose to differ with
ISO. And it seems that I am not alone in this respect, because
Microsoft also differs with ISO - or at least provides the flexibility
to differ.

You must keep in mind that when it comes to dates and calendars, the
standards vary widely. This point is clearly explained on the
ISO-related URL that you point us to. But, despite ISO's standard, any
decent scheduler - and let's not forget that all of this discussion
about a TB setting under Preferences is in connection with the TB
scheduler - makes allowances for those differences. Imagine that you
work for a global company that numbers the weeks of the year in a
fashion that is different from the ISO standard. If you want to use
the TB scheduler, would it not be annoying to have all of the weeks of
the year numbered incorrectly (according to your company) even if it
is correct according to ISO?

ISO has some logic for changing the numbering of the days so that the
first day of the week is Monday and not Sunday. But it is not
necessarily the only logic or the best rationale. As I stated earlier,
I prefer to maintain the historical and cultural legacy on which the
numbering of days is based. The Gregorian calendar, which is the
current standard for most of the Western world and has been the
standard for well over 400 years, did not differ from the earlier
Julian calendar (dating back over 2,000 years) in its recognition of
Sunday as the first day of the week. If you examine most Gregorian
calendars, you will find that the first day of the week is Sunday.
Wiki lovers can check this out by following the link for any month
from the following Wikipedia URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_Calendar

My personal preference has nothing to do with religion (even though at
least the Western numbering of years is closely linked to a religious
event, the birth of Jesus). Nevertheless, it is worth mentioning that
earlier calendars than the Gregorian or even the Julian calendar also
recognized a seven-day week in which Saturday was the seventh day and
not the sixth. Consider the Ten Commandments of Moses (circa 1250 BC).
In those 10 Commandments you are instructed to keep the sabbath day
holy, because God allegedly rested on that day (a rather absurd
concept, if you ask me, but many religious people - Jewsih, Christian,
and Moslem - take this seriously). Even when the Christian Church
associated itself with the Roman Empire and moved its "sabbath" to
Sunday to compete with the primary day of worship of the Roman God,
Mithras, those early Christians did not change the calendar. They
changed the concept of the sabbath but not the numbering of the days
of the week. So among Christians, the Seventh Day Adventists, to
mention a sizeable Christian community, broke with mainstream
Christianity on just this point. And notice the name of the group -
Seventh Day Adventists, the seventh day being Saturday. (You can
confirm this if you like at the following URL:
http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/.)

Similar is the case with Moslems. Islam moved the sabbath from
Saturday to Friday; but still Moslems, despite their pathbreaking
achievements in the sciences of mathematics and astronomy, never
troubled to change the numbering of the days of the week so that
Friday would become day 7.

In light of all of the above, it seems rather audacious of Ritlabs to
impose such a change. :-)

--
Avi Yashar
Windows XP Pro SP2 and The Bat! Pro 3.0.2.5

 Current beta is 3.0.2.5 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: