Hi Jonathan,

Possibility 1:
Mulbery fetched the message-id header using the method I used in the
above mentioned message (or something close to it). The imap server
"messed" with the returned data, and stripped the < > off of the
message-id. We know the messages had them in there originally, we can
all go look at our archives. This would then mean Mulbery was not
being very RFC compliant, and just "dumped" what it got back straight
back out again.

I have to disagree with you here Jonathan, RFC 3501 as you know, says...

A quoted string is a sequence of zero or more 7-bit characters,
  excluding CR and LF, with double quote (<">) characters at each
  end.

If his IMAP server fails to send this correctly, it means his server is not RFC compliant. TB! or Mulberry can only be compliant with the RFC and not deviate from it. It must assume that it is dealing with a compliant server. It cannot and should not do otherwise.

There is an RFC suggestion somewhere that says something along the lines
of "be liberal in what you accept, and strict in what you send".
Basically meaning, you can accept anything within a flexible bounds to
the RFC, but follow the RFCs when sending stuff back out.

I would say this is programmer's saying or adage, as there is nothing of this in the RFC as you know.

This meaning, if the IMAP server /really/ did strip off the < > from the
message-id, Mulbery *should* have put them back, as the are a MUST per
RFC.

Now here is where I disagree with you. Yes, it is a must in the RFC, but it is not up to the client to fix a broken server, and I believe that is what you are asking above. You are asking a client to pick up and make a non-compliant server compliant, to fix is shortcomings. So, where does it end? Should a client fix any broken IMAP server for whatever reason, e.g. broken attributes or commands. One should only assume that any server is 100% compliant. IMO, that is the only way to build a client. Everything else leads to speculation, and isn't that why we have RFCs?

I can only hope that TB! will be 100% compliant in its future development and settle for no less. Only then will it be a true IMAP client.

Regards, -- Gary

________________________________________________________ Current beta is (none) | 'Using TBBETA' information: http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html IMPORTANT: To register as a Beta tester, use this link first - http://www.ritlabs.com/en/partners/testers/