More like a house of cards that keeps getting taller and taller...

Clearly the code has exceeded the developers' ability to manage it.

I don't think that follows.  They said they were adding unicode support, and
that it involves some changes in program architecture. It is to be expected that
the program would become unstable until it all gets integrated again, and it
has.  TB has started disappearing from my screen without warning, getting
tangled up and sending the same message over and over.  I sure hope they
get it back to where it was in a few weeks.

Unicode support is necessary for languages like Chinese that have more than
255 possible characters.

Gleason
Using The Bat! v3.5.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600
Service Pack 2  Primarily using the Fastmail
IMAP server which uses Cyrus.