On 7/18/05, Thomas Fernandez wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:50:07 +0300 GMT (18/07/2005, 21:50 +0700 GMT),
> Jay Walker wrote:
>
> JW> I might be wrong, but it seems to me that RL is now trying to
> JW> implement a new degree of unicode support and that RL knew - or
> JW> should have known - in advance that users could lose characters in
> JW> consequence of the partial implementation of unicode in the
> JW> Microed.
>
> I doubt this. Had they known it, they would have fixed it. It turns
> out to be an elusive bug, as some encounter it and others don't.

Thomas, perhaps it is just a bug. But even if it was just a bug, why
did RL lose sight of their goal to publish a new release to replace
the old one that left out BayesIt? It seems likely that this bug got
introduced along with the 3.51 MSI. So why not drop back to 3.5.36 and
make another stab at 3.51, this time without working on the charset
issues? Why  did we see 3.51.1, 3.51.2, 3.51.3, and 3.51.4 - all
playing with this same issue if it is just a bug and not an attempt to
implement a new degree of unicode support?

I am sorry, but this just doesn't compute for me. It's not logical.

> It does need to be found and fixed before the release, though.
> Otherwise it would be a show-stopper. But we are in beta-testing, so I
> do not really follow your sentiments at this moment.

Again, Thomas, you are talking like someone who is at the beginning of
a beta cycle and not the end of a beta cycle. This bug not only would
be a showstopper, but it is a showstopper... if unicode support is the
main  objective of the current beta cycle. But I never got the
impression - until now - that this is the case. I knew of several
objectives - including improving IMAP support, which now seems to have
taken a backseat again - but probably the biggest objective (and the
objective that was met the earliest) was just to get a more-or-less
stable release with BayesIt included - something to replace 3.5.30. So
if unicode support is an elusive bug, it only makes sense to scrap it
for a while so that non-beta-test users of TB can download a stable
version with the BayesIt that they were using in it.

As for myself, I don't use BayesIt. But what I want - what I paid for
long ago with TB Pro - is OTFE. Unfortunately, I can't get the search
engine to work in OTFE (it hangs almost interminably), so that promise
has yet to be fulfilled as far as I am concerned. I would not be
surprised if IMAP users have a similar - or even stronger - sense of
frustration.

--
jaywalker
Windows XP Pro SP2 and The Bat! Pro (No OTFE) 3.5.36