Hello Thomas Fernandez & everyone else,

on 25-Jul-2005 at 03:09 you (Thomas Fernandez) wrote:

ASK>> IIRC, the message is a "fixed object" during the filtering stage. If both
ASK>> filters move the message, you should have two copies in the two
destination
ASK>> folders (I haven't tried that however).

> No. The keyword for the filter here is "move", not copy. The message is
> an "object" in computer-speak, don't know what a "fixed object" is.

Neither do I, therefore the quotation marks.

> Filter 1 moves the object (message) to the spam folder, filter 2 moves it
> to the list folder. So it ends up in the list folder only, there are no
> two copies (unless you browse deleted messages, but we won't go into
> this). He would have two copies has he told the filters to "copy" instead
> of "move" the message.

Ah OK, my mistake, I remembered the old discussion how a message can be
"moved" twice from the inbox to another folder and again to another folder,
so a "move" is not really a move until all filters are done... I mixed it
up.

ASK>> To avoid that, I've set up my filters for mailinglists as subfilters.

> How complicated. The more straight-forward solution is to *not* check
> "continue processing...".

None of my filters continues processing. It was just an example how to
avoid Davids problem.

The subfilter method is not complicated, on the contrary - the message
doesn't have to go thru all the filters (for every mailinglist). If the
parent condition isn't met, they're simply skipped. And I can collapse the
list of all my mailinglist filters in the sorting office, which leaves a
much better overview.

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately, it kills all its students.