Sorry, if this is OT, but I am talking about something that is
advertised on the Ritlabs Web site as "a new email service from
Ritlabs and Google" and "only for users of The Bat! v4".

As far as I can tell, thebat.net is a standard service offered by
Google to anyone with a registered domain for which one is ready to
point the domain's mail records (MX1) to the Google servers. I have
already done this for two different domains - one for email only and
the other for email, start page, and Web site.

My point is that anyone who knows about this free service is likely to
wonder why Ritlabs is promoting thebat.net on its Web page as if it is
something unique and involving a significant partnership between
Ritlabs and Google. Moreover, one who has used The Bat! 3.x might well
wonder why this "service" is only available for users of 4.x. Even
with 3.x, you could receive Google POP3 (and now IMAP) mail (whether
direct from Gmail or over a Gmail-enabled domain like thebat.net).

So am I missing something? Yes, I also signed up for a thebat.net
account when I thought it was going to be a gateway for beta testing
or some vital service or aspect of the email client. After getting my
thebat.net account, I have not used it even once.

--
jaywalker
Windows XP Pro SP2