Hello Ian,

> There is of course one "quirk". You only get asked if you want to send
> a receipt WHEN YOU LEAVE THE MESSAGE.

The 'Reading Confirmation Receipt' is sent (or queued to Outbox) when
the message is 'marked as READ'.

Now, when is a message marked as Read? That depends on a couple of
configuration options:

1.- In Account->Properties->Options
    - Mark the message as read when it is being read for X Secs
    - Mark the message as read only when it is open in a separate window

2.- In Options/Preferences/Message List
    - Go to the next unread message with the SmartSpace reading
      - Mark the current message as read when navigating away from it

In my case I have none of the four options ticked because I want to
decide when I have read each message. So, I use the shortcut 'Ctrl+M'
(actually 'Space', which I have configured in Customiser).

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v4.0.34.11 on Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 3