Hi,

 every time you connect your IMAP account to the server, the client
 synchronizes the local cache with the server.

 In practice, you can see in the Connection Centre that for every
 folder you get something like:
   Partial list [folder] (1-n) (0/n)
 where n is the number of messages in the folder.

 This means the The Bat! tries to sync the entire cache in one go.
 This is not necessarily good because for folders with tens of
 thousands of messages it may take considerable amount of time.

 The funny thing is that I remember that it used to work in a
 different way: in the past The Bat! would do it in batches of 100s,
 so you'd get something like:
   Partial list [folder] (1-100) (0/n)
   Partial list [folder] (101-200) (0/n)
   Partial list [folder] (201-300) (0/n)
  or, since I have trouble recalling which column means what:
   Partial list [folder] (1-n) (0/99)
   Partial list [folder] (1-n) (100/199)
   Partial list [folder] (1-n) (200/399)

 The important thing here is that when TB! operates in smaller batches
 you see the new messages in a folder much earlier than in the "full
 sync in one go" case.

 I am on 4.0.38 now. I am also quite sure the change happened some
 time in the past (maybe even when I was on last versions of 3.x).
 And, in the meantime I also upgraded the IMAP server I'm using
 (Dovecot) so I am not even sure what caused this change in behavior.

 Any comments?

 Robert Tomanek                         mailto:tbb...@mail.robert.tomanek.org