Finally I found two nice applications for this feature:

a.) Every week another member give a presentation about his/her work
progress. There is a list printed, but they used to complain that "I
forgot". Now they got a reminder 1 day before someone is due to give a
lecture. No more complaint accepted. Talk to the hand :)

b.) We have 8 week seasons where I play soccer. Every week it is a
different time on a Friday night. Now I set up 8 mails to go out on
Thursdays to remember the team when we play the next day.

So, mea culpa, this feature can be used.

--
Vili