Hello Carsten,

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:02:07 +0200 GMT (20/Sep/09, 1:02 AM +0700 GMT),
Carsten Guthardt-Schulz wrote:

>> While I don't agree that POP is the past,

CGS> Why not? There is general agreement that mobility is the future,
CGS> everything goes mobile. People (will) access their email from
CGS> their PC at home, their laptop, their netbook, their iPhone (or
CGS> other smartphone), their TV, their cordless phone (already
CGS> possible here) and so on. While this is more and more the case in
CGS> people's personal lives, it's already an absolute necessity in business.
And the solutions are
CGS> - webmail (what most novices use)
CGS> - Exchange (what most businesses use; TB's implementation being even worse
than IMAP)
CGS> - IMAP

CGS> As you see, POP is not among those :-)

I didn't want to go into a discussion of POP vs. IMAP. Let's suffice
it to say IMAP and webmail require bandwidths that are not available
over here yet. A friend from Germany came over and checked his email
by webmail and was going crazy with the waiting times when pages had
to load.

IMAP is not necessary in business over here, but it depends on your
way of life. When I'm not in the office, webmail is still better than
carrying a USB stick around with Voyager. If I did (and I used to), I
would still prefer POP so as to have the messages with me. I can then
at least search in the archive if I cannot access the server, which
happens often enough.

CGS> I would even go as far to say that IMAP alone is not the future
CGS> either. The trend in business goes definitely towards Exchange
CGS> (not necessarily MS Exchange), as well as collaboration through
CGS> at least a decent calendaring system (not to talk about
CGS> synchronizing of contacts). Outlook is the leader here, and
CGS> Thunderbird 3 will have calendaring integrated as well.

Maybe that's true in your privileged world. Over here, POP is the
still the way to go for some time to come, as we can download the
mails in the background, and once they have been downloaded, they are
accessable quickly at any time.

Once we have bandwidths that come close to yours, I will look into
this again. In the meantime, kindly keep in mind that most people
don't have that bandwidth. I just came back from Cambodia, where
super-fast internet is being offered by the leading provider: 512kbps.
Yes, that a "k", not an "M". It costs something like US$ 20 or
30/month, half a worker's salary. Welcome to the real world.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 4.2.10.6