***As this has definitely gone off-topic, I'm copying this to TBOT
should there be any further followup.***

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:09:14 -0500 John Hasemeier wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:36:19 -0600 GMT, Dave Gorman wrote:
>
> DG> I'm not sure I understand the concern of one's name appearing in a
> DG> mailing list archive on the web. As long as my email address isn't
> DG> revealed and no personal information (ssn, phone, etc) is revealed, I
> DG> don't lie awake at night fretting that someone knows that a person with
> DG> my name exists. Is there a legit reason for me to fear someone knowing
> DG> that my name exists?
>
> Well this can go off topic in a heart beat.. Just my take on it,
> some people enjoy a private life, some would be tickled if the whole
> universe knew them by name. The internet or more appropriately
> perhaps, the web is in opposition with maintaining ones privacy.

I understand privacy concerns. What I don't understand is how the
appearance of my name, with no personal information attached to it, is
an infringement of my privacy. My name,  by itself,  is not a unique
personal identifier. Having my name appear in a mailing list archive
does nothing except indicate that someone using the name Dave Gorman
(not even necessarily my real name) is interested in The Bat.

Let me emphasize here, I'm not trying to mock anyone's privacy concerns,
I'm just trying to understand why this would be a concern.

--
Dave