Hallo Geoff,

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:21:52 +0100GMT (28-6-2004, 13:21 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

GL> Perhaps naively, I assumed that I could set up a sorting office
GL> rule to match all and with the "Continue Processing" option
GL> selected. This would run an external program (wscript //B
GL> checkdate.vbs %1) which would modify the contents of the file %1
GL> to correct the datestamp.

So far so good

GL> My idea is that, with the datestamp corrected, my existing battery
GL> of sorting office rules would shuffle the message to the correct
GL> folder. Is this approach not valid (for example, because TB
GL> doesn't re-import the file specified by the %1 parameter)?

TB won't import the file back, just try it by running some text editor
in a filter, doesn't matter whether you check or uncheck 'wait for
completion' or not.

The only way to import your edited file is to run a batch file as
external program, make the batch file run your script first and TB
second with importing command line parameters.
However this will make TB decide that it's a new message and imported
messages don't trigger filters.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

Disclaimer: Any opinion stated in this message is not necessarily shared by my budgies
or rabbits.