Hallo Keith,

On Friday, October 15, 1999, 9:53:08 PM, Keith Russell wrote:

>> On Friday, October 08, 1999, 1:14:28 PM, Syafril Hermansyah wrote:

KR> [snip]

SH>>> In  the  first  time  I run 1.36Beta/12, I found that I got new font :
SH>>> Andele  Mono,  MS  Hei  (Chinese  GB_2312), MingLiu (Chinese_BIG5), MS
SH>>> Mincho (Japanese) and MS Song (Chinese_GB2312).

>> GB2312 is used on the mainland, Big5 here in Taiwan.

KR> Right. So what's Andele?

It's a font, whereas the others mentioned are encoding systems.

>> I run C-Win98, and it's the Chinese version (meaning all the
>> Windows stuff is written in Chinese, and I have to work a lot from
>> memory). The bilingual version Chin/Engl is instable.

KR> I didn't even know there was a Chinese/English version.

I've never seen it, because everybody told me not to buy it. But I
know that there is also a Japanese/English Win98, because I know
someone who has the biggest troubles with it.

>> I also read&write Thai, so that would be really an advantage :-)

KR> So you read and write Thai, but not Chinese? I'm envious. I never
KR> got very far with the Thai writing system; it's so inconsistent it
KR> might as well be logographic, like Chinese ;-).

Unlike Chinese, it has actual letters (44 consonants and 12 vowels;
and some tone markers and other stuff), so you can read and pronounce
a word if you don't know it. It's pretty consistent; which one of the
five T's or two N's or so you have to use in which word depends on the
origin of the word ... but this is far OT. ;-)

Oh, and no surprise: Thai characters display as Chinese characters under
C-Win98, like Russian charcters, too.

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366 Mhz, 128MB RAM