Friday, October 22, 1999, 8:39:43 AM, Nick wrote:
> <dumbass>
>  I've never heard (or seen) the term "tier 2 server".  Does this
> differ from using one of the atomic clock sites to sync with?
> </dumbass>

    Basically, yeah.  The tiers are how far removed from the atomic clocks you
are.  Generally it is a bad idea to sync directly with a tier 1 server since
they're generally very busy serving other servers (tier 2) or hosts that have
some good reason to have a very precise clock.

    For me, syncing my server off a tier 2 clock and syncing the rest off
my server is good enough.  I simply don't need to be in the <3-5 second
catagory and don't mind that much drift at all.  It is precise enough for my
mail to be correctly placed with the rest of the world and for me to set my
house clocks to and still get to work on time.  ;)