Hi Steve,

on Friday, November 19, 1999, 5:58:21 AM GMT+0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>> People like Steve Lamb make it so hard for beginners to stay in this list.

SL>     Beginners shouldn't really be making suggestions.

Pu-leaze, Steve. And by the way, with 21 years of computer programming,
I don't consider myself a beginner, and I did make that initial
suggestion.

SL> Furthermore everyone is a beginner exactly once. I don't like
SL> things that are geared for beginners at the exclusion of those who
SL> aren't because of that.

How about things that are geared for skilled people at the exclusion
of beginners? Hey, this is list is in-lieu of a proper documentation.
So it is for the beginners as well.

>> It is the arrogance of the skilled. As a beginner you just don't dare to
>> bring a "silly" problem. And this is not useful for the further spreading of
>> this good client. Didn't it happen so often in history of the mind, that
>> "idiotic" ideas opened new horizons.

SL>     Yes, they did.  Normally, though, such ideas aren't ones that are rehashed
SL> and argued over every time a new person comes into the forum.  For example...

[list of absolutely valid points skipped]

SL>     These things, among others, are what makes it hard for the experienced
SL> users to stay on this, and other, lists.  They are topics that keep coming up
SL> ever 3-6 weeks with the new people.

This is a forum for new people as well.

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.37 Beta/3
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.