Monday, November 22, 1999

Hello Fred,

Monday, Monday, November 22, 1999, you wrote:

Fred> Hi Paula,

Fred> Sunday, November 21, 1999, 10:10:23 AM, you wrote:
PF>> Of the 23 messages I've received so far this morning for this list, only
PF>> 4 of them are related to the primary purposes of this list. It seems to
PF>> me that there has been a marked decline in recent weeks in the number of
PF>> list messages from people requesting information about using TB.

Fred> Some of us "lurkers" are just waiting for "other" and "advanced"
Fred> activity/conversation to die down a bit before we interject our
Fred> novice/basic questions.

Fred> For example:  I can't seem to make my filters work, and I suspect I'm
Fred> not doing them correctly.  I find the Help in TB! to be less than
Fred> clear in some instances.  Filters are one instance.

Fred> Here's what I did (what I clicked on):
Fred>   Account
Fred>   Sorting Office/Filters
Fred>   Incoming Mail  (maybe I should have clicked on "Kill filters"???)
Fred>   New
Fred>   New Rule
Fred> Rule tab:
Fred>   Name:  gave it a name
Fred>   Source folder:  Inbox
Fred>   Move messages to folder:  Trash
Fred>   Filtering strings:
Fred>     Strings:  a person's name
Fred>     Location:  Sender
Fred>     Present:  Yes
Fred>     Rule is:  Active
Fred> Alternatives tab:  nothing
Fred> Actions tab:
Fred>   Delete the message:  checked
Fred>   Delete the message from the Server:  checked
Fred> Options tab:
Fred>   Continue processing with other filters:  checked
Fred>   Send generated messages:  Queue in Outbox

Fred> But I still get messages from "a person's name" in my inbox.
Fred> What did I do wrong or forget to do?
Fred> Thanks,

If the persons name is in 2 parts (ie has a space in it) for some odd
but no doubt logical reason (and yes I know the programming reason )
filtering on the thing doesnt work.
Secondly if you want to thrash  a mailer you filter him to inbox (ie
where it is) and then it gets deleted.
I think it was somewhere in the help file but absolutely not in a
helpful way...
Anyway, I find you set filters with special options and then go and
clean them up in the menu.
I always determine the order of filters myself so anything like this
should be at the far end of your filters to avoid hitting innocent
bystanders...
Ie I remove the regular correspondents to their boxes and then I start
on the rubbish.
Consider using his email address as filter only as if the name is in 2
parts I never managed to filter on it, either a bug or buggy docs or
both

Best regards,

tracer

Using theBAT 1.38 Beta/2