Hello Doc,

On  Sunday, January 30, 2000  at  11:02:47 GMT +0900 (which was 6:02 PM where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:

> Januk Aggarwal wrote...

>>The Bat downloads the messages first, then it applies the appropriate
>>filter sets, so what you request can't be done exactly the way you
>>describe.  But there is a work around that might do what you need.

> I already have separate folders for messages from the developer and
> others, but when I'm busy I don't want those others even to be
> downloaded.

 Just an extension to what I was saying earlier, do you know about the
 option in the filters to delete the message when applied?  For
 example, you can create an incoming filter for all messages from that
 list which are not from the developers.  Then under the Actions tab,
 you can delete them.  So if you set TB to leave messages on the
 server, you will download the messages, but you'll never see them.
 They will be deleted as soon as they hit the Inbox.  But they will
 still be on the server if you want to download them to another
 machine.  Just an idea.  I still agree with you that filters should
 be applied *before* downloading, but unless you restrict the search
 areas to the headers, this isn't practical.

> I guess since The Bat! doesn't do any automatic server-side
> filtering, there's no hope of getting this one.

 Not yet. Hopefully they will implement it in version 2. But I don't
 recall anyone mentioning this feature.

> On the other hand, The Bat! has some options not in Datula, such as
> automatically marking a message as read. It would be nice to combine
> the best feature of both programs -- Batula!

 That's a great idea.  Now you just have to get everyone to agree what
 are the *best* features of each. :)

> Batula! would have The Bat!'s editor, MailTicker(TM) and sorting
> rules interface,

 Agreed.

> Datula's Japanese-language handling and server-side filtering and
> configurable key assignment and one-key navigation across folders,
> etc. Great idea, no?

 I've never used Datula, so I'll believe you about the quality of the
 filtering. But I would *love* the one-key navigation across folders.
 There have been rumors that it will be supported in version 2. I'm
 getting the feeling that version 2 won't be at all similar to 1.xx. I
 hope that's for the better, although 1.xx is going to be a hard act
 to follow.

--
Thanks for writing
 Januk