Hello Simon & all fellow TBUDL members,

Friday, March 10, 2000, 6:50:19 AM, Simon wrote in response to:

S> And as for yer man Douglas's probs. 1) I'm afraid I was not party
S> to his setup as you seem to be.

I came to TB! in Sept. of last year as a Calypso refugee, which blew
up after a simple upgrade (such as the one described for I.E.). While I
haven't messed with - and hardly use - my IE 4.0, I neither need or want
it, since both installing and uninstalling Outlook 98 did cause
problems on my system).

I had registered Calypso in June and had been off line since then
(until Sept)., but Calypso's Tech Support people were determined to
blame my system and made no effort to discover (much less fix)
whatever caused Calypso to cease functioning forever. The only thing I
cared about at that point was access to my 50+mb of email that was now
inaccessible, since Calypso encrypts it mailboxes, and wouldn't so
much as open.

Tracer kindly and unselfishly helped me retrieve a good part of my
email out of Calypso. Also, since the fools at Calypso blamed my
windows and insisted that I install each and every upgrade ever
devised, many of which undo or conflict with previous upgrades (and no
effort was made on their part to distinguish), that issue was
discussed in some depth also. I consider him to be both knowledgeable
and a friend.

A number of others on TBUDL - itself an important part of the reason I
use TB!, since most (but not all) of us TBUDLers are also both
knowledgeable (to some degree or other) and constructive, and some of
them too have some idea of what I run.

I only use M$ products to the degree necessary, and necessary means
that the Gates goal was to keep and develop the windows market (and
therefore developer participation) they already dominated, at the
expense of the consumers and the better, more stable and better
planned OS's they chose to copy (first OS/2, which they had been hired
to develop) and then UNIX, hiring DEC's Cutler to direct the NT
effort. Meaning many of the programs I use are available for windoze
only, at this point (waiting for Linux to take off as a desktop
system).

NOBODY knows all there is to know about computers and / or computer
programs. That would be physically impossible. At best, each only
knows what he or she knows, and if he or she is truly any good at it,
has that information well integrated with other facts that may or may
not apply to a given situation or problem. It takes a patient and
honest person to do that, and tracer has those qualities.

While we don't always agree (and obviously any decision made regarding
any changes in order or not in order on my system is basically my
decision and no one else's), he's been tirelessly and unselfishly
helpful - and so have a number of others on this list; although none
to a greater extent than he has - and there's been more than a few off
list interchanges from Sept to now with other TBUDL members. We're ALL
here to help out to the best of our ability, I assume (with possibly a
very few exceptions).

S> 2) In any event. Sorry, but you are wrong about @Guard mate. @Guard
S> DOES cause problems. Check your background processes every now and
S> then when @Guard is simply installed.

My question was whether this would be true if my system tray shows
"AtGuard - Disabled". Your claim may be true and I assume that by
running regmon with AtGuard running, I'll know more about what's
happening when AtGuard IS enabled.

S> IAMSERV is running yes?

IAMSERV?

S> Maybe you noticed also that @Guard doesn't seem to want to leave it
S> there and when you then activate @Guard when you connect to the
S> Internet, @Guard loads another occurrence of it again. This causes
S> MAJOR probs & slow downs and hangs Internet Explorer, WIndows, TB!
S> Especially when you drop your connection and have @GUard shut down
S> automatically or do it manually. I really do like @Guard but have
S> removed it from at least 7 peoples computers for the same
S> complaints. I have given them ZOneAlarm to install because of this
S> problem. NOT ONE person has had the same problem since its removal.

This is all good to know, but my TB! has run just fine, except when
system resources are low, after a couple of days without rebooting -
like now - I've got 31% but all other apps are closed and will reboot
on going offline. TB! actually does me the favor of advising me of
this condition, since it DOESN'T hang my system, it simply tells me
and I selectively close it (or other things).

S> I have to say that the problem occurs MORE frequently with people
S> that have it installed but disabled at startup. I found that the
S> problem was less severe when @Guard was run at startup and left
S> running all the time. The chances then of IAMSERV being loaded
S> twice are obviously then reduced considerably.

OK, now we're focusing on what I asked. But what if it's left disabled
constantly?

As for what follows (including the future the posts on this thread):
I will read it all with the interest of learning something, but both
Simon and tracer are dedicated PC problem solvers, while I just use
them to get other jobs done. My area is community and (mainly) rural
development. I usually leave alone whatever seems to be working fine,
unless I know a good reason for making a change.

On that score, since I'm still using TB! 1.39 and v 1.41 just came
out, what's the download url for that, and can I download just the .exe
file or are there .dlls that need changing also, and more importantly,
is this upgrade really an improvement of v 1.39? If so, in what way?

Thanks in advance.

S> "Lockdown2000 junk" <--- tracer...uhummm. OK, some people like
S> ports to be completely stealthed. And some like to have their ports
S> watched for one reason or another. Lockdown does open and listen to
S> many ports unlike a Firewall, granted, and this does affect TCP/IP
S> memory if you're listening to too many at once. OK, but I have
S> generally found this not to be a problem when using Lockdown.

S> Yes, these kind of programs have been called 'hacker catchers' and
S> often have a reputation of unfairly 'baiting' attackers or even
S> putting yourself at risk. If you are somewhere referring to Steve
S> Gibson's opinions that these apps are 'junk' (to also quote him)
S> and that they are 'Evil Port Monitors'(as he says) then I think
S> that is a bit OTT and designed only to create dependency on one
S> persons opinions which suits his purpose, obviously.

S> I use Lockdown on its own only for *specific purposes*. It is
S> excellent for those particular purposes. I use my Firewall to have
S> complete system stealth at other times. I think to say that
S> Lockdown is a piece of junk is a bit hasty considering all the
S> other features it has. However, you are entitled to your opinion,
S> it's just that I don't agree with it. OK, I don't rely on it on its
S> own. But do you rely on just ONE virus scanner? I don't. It is the
S> same thing: 2 of this and 3 of that just to make sure!

This makes sense. (The nature of computing is such that the last word
isn't in till it's in, and there's more than one way to skin a cat -
if that's what you want to do). It depends on your premises and
purposes, needs and limitations.

S> "ZoneAlarm ... This little beaut blocks ALL ports stealthing them
S> completely - it even stealths your ident port (113) which many WELL
S> known Firewalls can't seem to negotiate.

Objective, factual. (Is there more to it)?

S> I think it deserves a little more than a 'not bad'. Are you a
S> frequent visitor to GRC.com by any chance? I know SG said he felt
S> it wasn't quite ready (and yes it did have a few lumps that needed
S> ironing out) to recommend it, but it works extremely well and not
S> using it would just be silly at this stage in its development.

Less clear - subject to conflicting opinions and a weighted adjective.
I'm bound to learn something from this, if it continues.

Best regards,

Douglas