On Thursday, February 3, 2011, 16:32:34, Mark Partous wrote:

> This  PC  (XP): 8 minutes to boot. Sometimes it takes 3 boots
> before it starts up, because it hangs twice (almost at the
> end of booting). If that happens I have lost half an hour. Problem
> first occurred after Professional insurance software to
> connect to several insurance companies' servers had been installed.

Make sure your hard drive isn't dying - slow boot up is often a
symptom of that (of course, if that VPN software you installed has
broken drivers, that's not Windows' problem). I don't have any XP
machines anymore (except in VMWare), but I don't remember seeing any
that needed more than 2 minutes to boot, even on slow laptops.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Nobody notices when things go right.
       -- Zimmerman's Law of Complaints