On 03/01/2011 07:24 PM, MFPA wrote:
My next suggestion is creating a new account with exactly the same
name as the (missing) old one, then closing and restarting TB!. I
probably don't need to remind you to make sure you have a backup
before doing this, just in case.

That's almost what I did, but I created the new account with a different dummy name, then copied all the folders from the original into the new one. That provided the backup. I then created another new one, this time with the same name as the original, and it worked as expected. Finally I deleted the one with the dummy name, so now I'm back as I was before the problem hit -- except for losing the past six months worth of messages and any tweaks to my filters, address book, and so on.

TB is so much better than Thunderbird that I can hardly wait to get back to it!

--
Jim Kyle