Hi,

> Unfortunately, I can't delete version 5. I've used Windows Add and
> Remove Programs [...]

What happened when you ran the uninstaller?

> and when that didn't work, used the Revo uninstaller.

Bad idea. You never know what tools like this do or do not remove,
what may or may not belong to the program you're working on.

> I would really like to revert to v4.2.44 [...]

If you have a full backup anyway, why don't you try a more direct
approach: Rename thebat.exe to thebat.exe.v5, then do a standard
install of v4. Afterwards there should be a "new old" thebat.exe
there, which should ideally be able to handle your existing
messagebase. If it can not, you're no worse off than before, just
reinstall v5 again and if necessary restore your backup.

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Alto Speckhardt