Hello Tom Plunket,
On Wed, 31 May 2000 23:27:50 -0700 GMT your local time,
which was Thursday, June 01, 2000, 1:27:50 PM (GMT+0700) my local time,
Tom Plunket wrote:

> Pressing delete on a folder tries to delete the entire contents of
> that folder.

nnn>> And what does "wipe" do?  I can't any thing on "wipe" in the index in
nnn>> the on-line help.

> Wipe most likely not only deletes the data but overwrites it before
> deleting it so that attempts to reconstruct that material (eg by
> having a program that can directly access the data on the hard disk
> without the silly File Allocation Table getting in the way) is
> fruitless as the data has been covered up rather than just having the
> pointer to it erased.

I am not too sure of that as it seems to be a secondary meny regardng
the data IN the folder.
Essentially asking ok, we delete the folder but what to do with the
data, move to thash or wipe.
I would imagine the difference is to clean or not clean it out of the
msg base in that folder but likely tiramisu or another suitable
product could find it back...
if the folder is really urgent even norton could find it back as under
dos you can save the whole disk, sector by sector as a file and you
can extract with other utilities text only or what looks like text.
I would imagine that if anything like name of senders is know it
likely would take a few minutes to find the deleted text split up due
to interleaving or or not having been defragged.

receovery being useful depends on how urgent the data is and if
they really security wipe the sectors being used...

> In any event, anything that was in the message base file is gone,
> short of, as Marck points out, anything that was in the pre-1.42
> setup.

> -tom!

Best regards,

tracer