Two of my e-mail addresses are with Yahoo! UK, which allows POP3
access. Until recently YUK has used plain transport and everything
worked fine, but recently they changed to requiring SSL. Since then
I've been able to *receive* mail, but not to send it. When I try to
send I get this error:

---------
Server reports error. The response is: 5.7.1 Authentication required
---------

As far as I can see, I have the correct settings. YUK's Help file at
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_GB&id=SLN4724
gives:

---------
Want to access Yahoo Mail from an email program like Outlook or Mac Mail?
Here's the settings you'll need.

Incoming Mail (POP) Server - Requires SSL  (Secure Socket Layer)

    Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 995
    Requires SSL: Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLS  (Transport Layer Security)

    Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Port: 465 or 587
    Requires SSL: Yes
    Requires authentication: Yes

If your POP client doesn't offer TLS, you'll still be able to use SSL.

Login info - Requires authentication

    Email address: Your full email address (n...@domain.com.)
    Password: Your account's password.
---------

I substitute .co.uk for .com, but everything has worked OK until SSL.
The settings I have, text-scraped from TB's screen, are:

Transport
SMTP Server                             smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
SMTP Connection                         Secure on dedicated port (TLS)
SMTP Port                               465
Incoming mail protocol
Incoming mail server                    pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Connection to incoming mail server      Secure on dedicated port (TLS)
Incoming mail server port               995
Connection timeout                      6000 sec

Detail screenshots are at http://imgur.com/RfLCMJ5 ,
http://imgur.com/noH0ZAq , http://imgur.com/SNqRWlq

These look OK to me. I couldn't get Ultrafunk Popcorn to work either,
but the small, free, portable nPOP worked OK. So it isn't a problem
with my PC. I read far more messages than I send, and probably haven't
sent any for a while: it's possible this problem has only occurred
since upgrading from TB 5.8.8 (I think) to v6. However, I can't be
certain of that. My other accounts are Regular, so I can't cross-check
with them.

Any ideas, please?

--
Thanks in anticipation,

 Robert Bull             mailto:theb...@theluminousvoid.plus.com

Using The Bat! v6.0.10 on Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6002 Service Pack 2