MG> I am currently using The Bat! version 4.2.44.2 on a PC with a Windows 7
operating system.

MG> I received an error message this morning saying that my copy of
MG> Windows 7 was not a genuine one. It is genuine and came loaded on my laptop
from Dell.

MG> I called Dell support, and after trying a number of other
MG> workarounds, they've decided that my Windows 7 has become
MG> corrupted--or at least some files on it have--and I need to have
MG> the operating system reinstalled.

MG> They will work with me on this, but obviously it means I'm going
MG> to have to reinstall all my programs after the operating system is
MG> re-done, and that includes The Bat!

MG> My questions are three:

MG> 1a. Will I be able to reinstall the same version of The Bat? It
MG> has given me no problems, and I seem to be reading that people are
MG> having problems with version 6. I still have the
MG> thebat_pro_4-2-44.msi file from when I originally installed it and I do
have my Key Block.

MG> 1b. If I have to use a newer version of The Bat! are there any
MG> changes I need to know about that will affect my ability to
MG> retrieve my mail from the backups?

MG> 2. What files will I need to back up?

MG> ---My mail directory setting in Preferences lists: %APPDATA%\The
MG> Bat!\   I assume this means my mail directory is in
MG> C:\Users\MSG\AppData\Roaming\TheBat!\Janus1 where MSG is my user
MG> name and Janus1 is my mail account name. I already back up my
MG> Users\MSG directory every night to an online backup site called IBackup.

MG> ---In addition, I do an automatic daily backup to a file called
MG> C:\TheBatBackups\Batbackup2.tbk This daily backup is set to back
MG> up all address books and all accounts. This also is sent every night to the
IBackup site.

MG> ---Is there anything else I need to back up in order to retrieve
MG> all my mail after I reinstall TheBat!?

MG> 3. After I reinstall TheBat! I will copy my backed up Users\MSG
MG> file onto my computer. Do I also have to restore the .tbk file to
MG> The Bat! or will just moving the previous User folder be enough?

MG> Thanks for any help.

Let  the  more  knowledgeable chime in but there was a database change
with v5 and if you run v5 or later, it is not backwardly compatible

Back  up your RIT reg key and put it in your mail folder then ARCHIVE
it  and  move  it somewhere off the machine, or at least the C:\ drive
The  Bat's  backup  can be flakey. I tried it and had about a third of
the files unusable and unable to restore them

Check your private mail in about 5 minutes for something that may make
all this moot :)

--
Rick
All ideologies are idiotic, whether religious or political, for it is

Version 6.2.14 (64-bit) on Windows 6.2 Build  9200