Hi

On Sunday 27 July 2014 at 4:49:26 AM, in
<mid:17910141639.20140726234...@gmail.com>, Leonard S. Berkowitz
wrote:

> Because of the recent traffic about certificates, I
> tried to find out some general information about
> certificates. The Help facility in TheBat is not much
> help with general information, only how to view and
> maintain certificates.

> Is there some place where I can read some general
> information about certificates and why I need them or
> need to bother with them?

Searching, at least on any search terms I can think of, seems to only
yield technical descriptions of TLS aimed mainly at people running
servers rather than their userbase, or promotional spiel from those
trying to charge to sign your certificate.

Try <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.509>, although even that goes
into lots more detail and less broad-brush info than I would like in
an overview.

In addition to connecting to a server via TLS/SSL, certificates can
also be used to digitally sign or encrypt emails.

--
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-gro...@riseup.net

A picture is a poem without words

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3