Hi Maggie Meister,

> <snipping the ginormous key block & related sig>

:-)
Yes, it is a lot of space.

> Thank you for bringing this question to the group. I have been
> following this thread avidly since I have never understood the
> PGP and related encryption methods and I have some questions and
> an observation.

I am sorry, but I cannot answer most of your questions, as I am myself
struggling through these things. That message with the PGP
keyblock even wasn't correct; the signature macro should not
be visible. In fact, I don't know really how to create a predefined
template for new messages with macros in it and I neither do know
how really to call the footer file with the text and keyblock. It was
in the message by unexpected luck, but I did not know how I did it.

> 1. I largely use text and not html to communicate. Using GnuPG
> seems to take up lots of space. Do I remember correctly that
> proper email etiquette advocated no more than 6 lines in a sig,
> or, is that just a piece of the past that just stuck in my
> memory?

That etiquette seems to have been 'disappeared'; at least, many
messages I get, both private and commercial have big footers of
different kind. Some with lots of text, others with pictures.

> 2. How will correspondents using smart phones manage this
> considering the screen size?

Dunno.

> 3. For correspondents who don't use a dedicated email program
> such as TheBat! handle this if they are using web mail?

Dunno.

> 4. When replying without trimming in an email thread, this could
> potentially take to not only scroll through, but to even find the
> actual email amidst all the other security characters?

May be possible, but not a problem I met yet.

> 5. Are these questions also relevant to PGP or only GnuPG?

Dunno. I simply choose GnuPG because of Maxim's advise... even without
asking why he advised that one. :-)

> Isn't choosing VPN more effective w/o having to use the keys and
> the added issue of having to convince other people to adopt this
> system in order to communicate with me? These are the ones who
> say, why should I do this, I've got nothing to hide?

For the VPN possibility I got offered, a registration at some webpage
for it is necesary and I do not want that. Don't know if it is possible without
a third party.

Sorry, I'm not a big help.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,