Hello Richard,

On Monday, August 28, 2017 you wrote:

RN> Hello Jack,

RN> Monday, August 28, 2017, 1:55:44 PM, you wrote:
JSL>> could I restore from a 6 month old backup and search for an
JSL>> email, then restore from the most current backup to bring me back
JSL>> to where I was?
RN>         Basically the answer to your question is yes.
RN>
RN>         First I would make a "new current backup" vs one of your
RN>         monthlies. Make sure that backup includes Account Properties,
RN>         Folders with Messages, Address Books, Global Options and
RN>         Attachment Files.
RN>
RN>         Then restore only Folders with Messages from your 6 month old
RN>         backup. The will keep account properties, address books and
RN>         global options in sync with your current settings.
RN>
RN>         Once you search/find for your missing email decide how you
RN>         want to restore your latest messages from the "new current
RN>         backup".
RN>
RN>         1) If you do nothing to the Folders with Messages from your 6
RN>         month old back and restore Folders with Messages from the "new
RN>         current backup" you will probably end up with duplications.
RN>              If you use Folders Remove Duplicates the program may or
RN>              may not remove duplicates. By my experience, many
RN>              duplicates will remain.
RN>
RN>         2) If you do #1 and have more duplicates than you like, delete
RN>         all non-standard folders in each account and delete all
RN>         messages in standard folders other than your original missing
RN>         message. That should give you essentially a "blank" TB set-up
RN>         with all of your account properties, address books and global
RN>         options.
RN>                 Now if you restore Folders with Messages from your
RN>                 "new current backup" you should have everything back
RN>                 to where you started plus the missing message.
RN>
RN>         I avoid searching for an old message in TB backups, I bcc all
RN>         outgoing and incoming email to a Gmail account that I
RN>         established just for backups. You may want to consider that
RN>         for the future. It's a faster method of recovery.

Wow. Thanks Richard. Your answer was one of the most informative and easily
understood answers I've had in a while. I have found that TB! tech support via
this list beats anything else. I don't have the problem I described, it was just
an easy way to get my message across in an understandable way, and I see it
worked. It has happened in the past and I'm sure it will happen again so your
answer will be invaluable in bailing me out when it does happen.

--
Regards,
Jack LaRosa

Using TB! 6.0.12