Ming-Li wrote:

ML> I'm no expert and I'm afraid I can offer little help.  Yet it
ML> appears to me that the problem is more than that.  I'm using
ML> Win2k with TB! and I've seen no such problem since day one.  I
ML> believe many people on the list use TB! with Win2k as well.

The ZoneAlarm suggestion is interesting; problems with the personal
firewall may well be the problem and I'll find out later today (as you can
see I'm posting this with TB! so am on the "wrong" machine :)

ML> Could you tell me how you get the detailed POP3 communications
ML> log? Is it a built-in function of OE 5.5, Win2k or from a
ML> 3rd-party utility? (I've just left OE 5, but never tried 5.5,
ML> and don't remember there's such function in OE. And Win2k is too
ML> new for me to know much details.) Too bad TB! can't be set to
ML> provide logs in such detail.

For Outlook Express 5.01 select Tools | Options from the menu bar, then
press the Maintenance tab and, at the bottom of the tab, there's a
'Troubleshooting' section. Check the 'Mail' check box and, after you've run
OE for a bit, search for 'pop3.log' on your hard drive. That contains the
information received by OE from the POP3 server.

Unfortunately TB! parses the information it received from the POP3 server
before displaying it in the Log Panel (Ctrl-Shift-L) :/

(AK-Mail stores the information it receives from the POP3 server in
encrypted form and can display it, via an inbuilt viewer, from within
itself).

Alastair