Hi Vladimir,

On 29 August 2000 at 02:44:48 GMT +0200 (which was 01:44 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points on the subject
of "Compress?":

VM>  I  am  new in here, and I was watching for your discussions for a
VM>  while  (silently), and now here is moment where I want to ask you
VM>  something!

Hello and welcome and thank you for speaking up.

VM> When you compress messages in a folder, what is really happening
VM> with my mail (how are they compressed?)?

When  messages are deleted, they are not removed from the message base
but  just  flagged as no longer valid. Purging and compressing removes
these deleted messages and reclaims the space.

VM> Is compressed folder slower than it was?

No,  it  isn't. If anything it may be slightly quicker although, since
the file concerned is indexed, it is probably no different in reality.

VM> How can I export all of my messages when I'm reinstalling my
VM> system? Can I just save mail folder from The Bat's installation
VM> folder and later just replace new one with old?

The  message  data  is  stored in a folder structure on your disk that
exactly  mirrors  that  within  TB.  You  can  save the mail directory
structure  and  the  files their and that holds *most* of the data you
would   need.  The  rest  is  held  in  the  system  registry  in  the
HKCU/Software/RIT/The Bat!/ key and sub-keys.

You can either use Regedit to export the key or use the command prompt
or a batch file to backup the registry data with this command:

regedit /e tbreg.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT

When  re-installing,  just  double-click on the .reg file from Windows
Explorer to reload the data into the system registry.

- --
Cheers,
.\\arck

><    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ><
>< PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ><
>< PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY> ><

 Women like silent men, they think they're listening.
TB! v1.46 Beta/3 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998