On Saturday, September 02, 2000, 6:27:26 PM, you wrote:

JA>  You want TB to fetch your mail from the server, export it, have an
JA>  external program process it and then import it back into TB?

Yes. The sticking point is to get TB to process the import as though
it were coming from my ISP via POP3.

JA>  If that's the case, do you already have the external program, or are
JA>  you planning on writing one for this task?

I was going to write one. I'm using Spam Bouncer now and it is VERY
good at classifying spam. If any of you run with a shell account or on
*nix, you might check this out.

It does so by using a numeric weighting of many different rules and
detection techniques. Unfortunately, this is a procmail script, and I
have not been able to find a way to run it under Windoze. I was
considering using the same techniques in a pgm I could run in Win.

JA> Either way, there may be
JA>  a less complicated solution for what you want.

I'm all ears :-)...

JA>  My suggestion would be, get a program that will act like a local mail
JA>  server (Hamster springs to mind, but I'm sure there are lots of other
JA>  ones).  Hopefully you can find one that will store the messages in a
JA>  plain text file format.

This is a bit of a problem. I have not seen one in my search that
looks like it produces text files. M$ seems pervasive :-((.

JA> Once you do that, have your filtering program
JA>  run on this server file.  When that's complete, TB could just
JA>  download the mail like normal, except it would get it from your local
JA>  server instead of your ISP.

Would I have a conflict with other proxies? I now run Proxomitron (and
like it a lot) on localhost. How would I run both?

JA>  If this is not acceptable, then how about creating a second account
JA>  (account B)in TB.  SNIP                  Also, under
JA>  Networking and Administration, select "Allow Local Delivery."  This
JA>  just bypasses your ISP's mail server.

I was thinking of using the 2-account technique in my original post;
one to download and send to the external pgm, and the second to be my
'real' account that would get the processed mail as an *input*.

>From Help:
When "Allow Local Delivery" is on, the outgoing messages addressed to
local users, are dispatched directly and put into appropriate message
bases instead of sending them to SMTP server.

Is a "message base" another account folder? If so, could I make a rule
that just 'puts' it in the other account folder, or do I actually have
to 'forward' the message to the other account?

JA> In fact, you can make it so
JA>  Account B can not access your ISP's mail server, and this should
JA>  work.

This would be a good idea.

JA>  Run a manual filter on this subfolder.  This
JA>  manual folder should redirect your messages to the address specified
JA>  in account A (eg [EMAIL PROTECTED]), and delete them from the
JA>  subfolder.

I'm a bit confused - why do I have to run the filter manually?

JA> Now your messages will be processed as though you were
JA>  downloading them off of your mail server.

This is what I was looking for! If so, all the many rules will still
work.

JA> Hope this  helped.

This helped a LOT!!!!

Thanks VERY much!!!