Hi Graham,

On 20 September 2000 at 11:38:55 GMT +0100 (which was 11:38 where I
live) Graham wrote and made these points on the subject
of "Fixed or variable width? (was Re[2]: Karin and The Bat)":

>> Interface Description           Definition     Direction Processor
>> --------- --------------------- -------------- --------- ----------
>> DELFOR-I  Delivery Forecast     DELFOR         Incoming  xxint014.p
>> DELFOR-O  Delivery Forecast     DELFOR         Outgoing  xxint013.p
>>
>> i send these shots using Courier (in Outlook), but can you imagine
>> what this looks like to someone using LookOut and a proportional
>> font ? and that's only a simple example ...

G> I'm reading the above using Becky, and using proportional fonts. I
G> can understand it quite easily.

Perhaps,  although  it  does  not  look as intended. The point is that
since  it  was prepared in a fixed pitch font, it can easily been seen
accurately.  Imagine it was *prepared* in a proportional font. Then it
would  have *no chance* of looking right unless you use the *specific*
font used to create it (if you happen to have it).

G> And  if I can't I just select a mono font for the block. What's the
G> problem?

None.  I used to like having the Mono / Prop toggle in Pegasus. OTOH I
don't miss it.

There   is  another  problem  which  revolves  around  TB's  paragraph
handling.  This relies on and only makes sense with mono fonts. How do
you centre or justify text when the font is all over the place?

Here's the real point, aside from taste and preferences: the issues in
TB  are  much more complex than being able to come in cold and say "it
should  do  proportional fonts?". Perhaps it should. The truth is that
it does not and that many features of the editor revolve around it not
doing  so.  To  change  it  may  seem  a  simple  request  but,  as  a
professional  in  this  field,  I  know for certain that it is *not* a
trivial task.

It  has  been  said  by many and argued every which way. RIT labs read
this  list  and  know of our feelings on the issue. Everyone is right.
IMHO it won't change in v1 no matter what anyone says.

- --
Cheers,
.\\arck
[    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ]
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[ PGP Key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY> ]

 Used Car Dealer:
  Second Hand cars in first crash condition
 TB! v1.47 Beta/5 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222  A