On Wednesday, September 20, 2000, 2:41:39 AM, Thomas wrote:

> How about this:

> A/L      +45    +100   +500  +1,000.-kg
> ---------------------------------------
> SQ      4.50    3.50   3.20  O/R
> TG              3.20         3.00
> LH              3.80   3.60

> This is an example of airline cargo rates per kilo (the numbers are
> fictious and do not reflect the current market situation). Now, people
> in my office actually send stuff like this with OE, and it looks good
> on their screen. How's that for an argument in favour of fixed font?

Yes, it's a problem, but it has little effect on my argument. What
these people need is a little lesson about why they shouldn't make
such tables with proportional fonts. In my experience, people stop
doing that once they've learned. All email program supporting
taught to use mono fonts when they need to do tables.

Ok, so some people never learn. What can you do? Forbidding them to
Eudora, or whatever) anyway. Not supporting proportional fonts in TB
won't stop you from receiving such mail. If TB support proportional
fonts, then at least you'll have the option to try to guess what
fonts they use (Arial or Times New Roman mostly) and adjust the view
accordingly.

If TB wants to be really careful and prevent less-sophisticated
users from sending such mail, then set the default fonts for the
editing window to mono fonts should be enough, while allowing people
to use proportional fonts for viewing mail.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/5 | Win2k SP1