Bad form to reply to myself, but there was one other thing that I
noticed and forgot to mention:  the "flag" column was empty (still
there on-screen, but empty) in the message list, and when I
right-clicked to try removing it and putting it back again (this was
before I noticed that all my messages had gone bye-bye), "Flagging"
wasn't listed either as an available column or one in use.