Hello Krister,

On  Friday, September 22, 2000  at  13:24:15 GMT +0200 (which was 4:24 AM
where I live) witnesses say Krister Ekstrom typed:

<snip auto format discussion>

> Wooops so much for wanting to read mails fast... I'm afraid i have
> deleted that particular discussion. I guess i need more info.:-) If
> you want you can contact me off-list so as not to clutter up the list
> with things newly discussed.

I don't think this is off topic, but I didn't want to patronize you
with the same info either.  Hence my earlier caution. :)  Please note
that I've broken the tread since this is sufficiently different than
the original post.

The auto-format feature is a neat little tool when used efficiently.
If you learn the Ctrl-Shift-F key combo, you're doing well.

By default I leave auto-formatting turned off.  This way I can type
what I want, however I want.  I also leave a blank line between my
paragraphs.  In type, this looks much nicer, and it allows us to use
TB's reformatting properties without too many troubles.

So after I've typed a paragraph, I might notice that I want to edit
something in the middle of the paragraph.  So now I turn on the
auto-format tool (use the keyboard shortcut), make my changes, and TB
responds the way most Windows text editors do.  When I'm finished with
these modifications, I turn off auto-format (use the keyboard shortcut
again).

So why leave auto-format off?  Well for one, it doesn't let you type
on two consecutive lines without reflowing the text.  A list such as:

Januk
is
typing.

Would be converted into:

Januk is typing.

No matter how hard I tried, this will always be the case.  Also, if
you accidentally hit the spacebar or any other key while scrolling
through paragraphs, you will get reformatted text.  As you've seen,
this can be annoying.

With judicious use of TB's text reflowing capabilities and some simple
rules for formatting, TB's editor can be shown to be very useful.
Please note, I do not want to start up the Editor debate again.  The
purpose of this post is simply to indicate how to use the *current*
implementation and in no way indicates my preference of editors.

Does anyone else have any other tips or tricks that they have learned
to make their message editing speedier and more convenient?  Please
note, I'm asking for ideas for the *current* implementation.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

 Using The Bat! 1.47 Beta/3