Karin,

Regarding your message dated: 24 September 2000...

>> Using NTFS here, but it seems that Microsoft's old claims of it being
>> non-fraggable are untrue :)

No - NTFS as implemented in Windows NT does fragment because (as far
as I understand it) it uses quite a large default cluster size on the
disk which means that very soon files are forced to fragment and the
only way to recover is to defragment.  It's particularly the MFT that
creates the most 'fragmenting' trouble so whatever you do you need a
defragmenter that will do the MFT as well.

KS> How do you defrag NTFS disks? Do you use DiskKeeper?

DiskKeeper works but it doesn't impress me much. I've settled upon
"O&O DeFrag" which is very nice. It has nice configurable abilities to
allow a 'quick defrag' now or a 'get down and dirty and do it really
well even if it takes allnight to optimise things perfectly' approach.
The scheduling is another well implemented feature and it can defrag
the pagefile and registry by default too on a reboot. You can also get
"O&O DefragMFT" which is a free little extra for doing the MFT by
itself - it can take a while on a dirty disc but it really is worth
it.

O&O Software is available from...

  http://www.oosoft.de/index-e.html

  (this is the link to the English site - the default is German if you
  remove the webpage reference but since I and this list are meant to
  speak English first and foremost...)

As a point of interest... I believe that Win2K installs on an NTFS
cluster size of 4K by default so this should help prevent the same
type of problem occurring quite so readily - hooray for all users of
Win2K!

Best Wishes,

Mark.

 Using TheBat! 1.46c Windows NT 4 0 1381 Service Pack 6
 Just4Fun - Freestuff, Humour and More! - http://just4fun.ipfox.com/
 Mark R Harding
 The Integrated Systems Group (Vision)
 Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering
 The University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Mayfield Road
 Edinburgh. EH9 3JL. Scotland. U.K.

 Phone:  +44 (0)131 650 5662
 Fax:    +44 (0)131 650 6554
 Email:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]