On 01/10/00 at 11:57 Gerd Ewald wrote:

>Hello Graham !
>

>On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:05:54 +0100 GMT your local time,
>which was 01.10.2000, 10:05 (GMT+0200) where I live, you wrote:
>
>TF>> Can you point me to the URL? Is ZoneAlarm free, or how much
does it
>TF>> cost? I understand it's still being developed?
>
>> Yes, Zone Alarm is totally free.  The URL for this is:
>
>> http://www.zonelabs.com
>
>> There are two versions (ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro, which you
>> have to pay for and adds some enhancements).  I am happy with the
>> free version.
>
>I totally agree with Graham: Zonealarm works perfectly and I never
had any
>problems with any program. Nevertheless you should be informed that
Zonealarm
>uses true vector technology which might be dangerous as some say in
various
>newsgroups (comp.security.firewall.something-I-can't-remember;
software might
>transmit data from your computer to zonelabs....). As many others in
that
>newsgroup I can't confirm this (Zonealarm never phoned home <g>) and
IMHO there
>is always a possibility to abuse technology; but this does not
necessarily
>mean that Zonelabs does use its technology for espionage.

I understand from Steve Gibson (who wrote Optout and is one of the
gurus in the "spyware" area) that Zonelabs have part of the true
vector technology in Zone Alarm, but it DOES NOT "phone home".  In
fact, Steve actually RECOMMENDS Zone Alarm on his website
www.grc.com.  I have Ad-Aware on my system from www.lavasoft.de for
some time; this has taken over the mantle from OptOut at detecting
"spyware" and it specifically looks for keys from true vector
programs.  Ad-aware has never found spyware in Zone Alarm.  That's
good enough for me.

Graham

PGP Keys on keyserver Ldap://certserver.pgp.com

Key ID 0x5273E2CD (RSA)
Key ID 0x99DB10BD (DH/DSS)