  On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:51:28 -0700, Nick Andriash wrote:

NA> Folder level Templates are by far more convenient to use.

It really depends on your situation and how you wish to manage your
mail. When I was using folder templates, I had to use two folders to
manage TBUDL and TBBETA messages. With address book templates and colour
coding, I can now manage them from a single folder which I much prefer.

NA> With AB Templates, you have to aim at a very very thin strip of
NA> screen real estate next to the New Message button just to generate a
NA> new message. With Folder Templates, you simply hit the larger
NA> button... one click and you're done!

I think I see the problem now. You're trying address book templates or
assessing them for their convenience with respect to this singular
issue.  If this is the only reason why you're considering using address
book templates, then I understand how you feel. Simply creating an
address book entry for TBUDL and making it a favourite will do the same
for you. You don't have to create address book templates to get a
favourites menu selection to create new messages. This is not what
address book templates are for.

Suppose you wish to use a particular set of templates only for a
particular recipient, yet you don't wish to create a folder exclusively
for the particular recipient? Well, defining a set of address book
templates for the recipient is your answer. If you don't have this
desire and have created specific folders with their templates in all
these instances, then there's no need to use address book templates.

>> In the long run, AB templates are *much* safer by an order of
>> magnitude.

NA> Safer?

Oh absolutely. :-) Once you have them properly setup, they're indeed
safer and function without my having to think. I don't have to think
about which folder I'm in when using templates. I can pool messages in a
single folder though I may be using multiple templates for recipients in
that single folder. If I move a message to another folder, I can hit
reply and still the correct template is used (a typical example is
forwarding one of my archived messages. The message may be in another
!!account!!,ie, my archive account and yet the correct templates are
used). Now *that's* safe and that's more flexible. I feel more free and
not constrained about where to have messages when replying to them or
forwarding them.

NA>  With respect to circumventing the 'bugs' outlined above, perhaps.
NA> However, TB!'s Address Book's finicky behaviour is well documented.

Ah now, Nick, that's not a fair statement now is it? :-) We have
detected one prerequisite for address book templates to work and this is
that default/account level templates have to be defined. Otherwise they
work just fine and with a high degree of reliability. My address book
templates have survived many beta cycles and two installation
transfers, ie, when I reinstalled NT4, when I newly installed Win2k and
just recently, when I installed Win2k on my new hard disk.

I've never experienced finicky behaviour that's unique to address book
templates and I use them extensively.

NA> Having to now trust all my Message Templates to the whims of the AB
NA> causes me even more concern. :o(

:-)

- --
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey
- ---
** "Oxymoron: Self-dependent. "
Using TB! v1.47 Beta/7 (S/N CCA4F9B8) «» Win2k Pro SP1