Hello Clearwater,

 Wednesday, November 15, 2000, 6:21:16 AM, you wrote:

C> Hi BatListers,

C> Often, the Receiving Mail box will open and "stick" on
C> "getting number of messages" or "receiving 1 of x messages" -
C> this continues indefinitely until I cancel. Unfortunately,
C> cancelling causes all stored messages to be re-downloaded on the
C> next check (I save on server for 1 day). What is causing this and
C> how can it be fixed? Clue: this behavior seemed to start around
C> the time I configured The Bat! to be compatible with Norton
C> Antivirus (i.e. changed incoming mail server to 127.0.0.1 and
C> user to user/domain.com). I've re-checked this configuration, and
C> all seems to be fine.

C> Thanks for your help!

 For what it's worth, I am using Win 98 SE, Norton 2000 AV.  I have
 on occassion had the same problems with the sticking.

 In my case it was two things happening. 1) My ISP occasionally has
 email problems, which causes problems of this type.  ( this was
 verified by calling the ISP) 2) Check the Box for Norton AV
 configuration regarding email advanced protection. There is an
 option to protect against timeouts. Mine was not checked, once I
 did the problem seemed to go away.

 I must also add though that occasionally Norton does come up with
 some updates that just seem to hang my email program. Sometimes a
 download of the next update or going into the FTP and getting an
 update will cure the problem.

 Just my .01 worth and what has worked on my machine.

 --
 Cheers,
      Dean